Copyright © Janice Tracy, Cemeteries of Dancing Rabbit Creek.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Headstone Inscriptions


I am amazed at the number of readers who have visited the Graveyard Rabbit of Attala County during its first week out. If you are reading this post today, thank you for visiting, and I invite you to return often.

Throughout the years, headstone inscriptions have provided some insight into the lives of our ancestors who went unknown before us. While some inscriptions are original, many are well-known phrases or quotes of famous words that may have meant something to either the individual or to the relatives of the deceased. So I have decided that my Saturday posts for this blog will include a headstone inscription. It may be a unique one, lighthearted or even downright humorous, or it may be something in a more serious vein, such as the first one I have posted here today.

An inscription appearing on a gravestone in Attala County, Mississippi.

Remember friends as you pass by

As you are now, so once was I,

As I am now, so you must be,

So prepare for death and follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment